No I am not referring to beautiful female spies here. Nor am I an individual with violent tendencies who likes to carry arms in her bag just in case she feels like going on a killing spree. I intend to talk about the average girl’s arsenal here – her handbag.
A lot of us are (rightly) accused of carrying bags too big for us, containing things rather unnecessary and heavy. Hercules would be proud. *Smirks*
The other day, while cleaning my ever-so-heavy bag, I began to think about things that I can afford to leave at home and the ones that I feel I must have with me all the time. I came up with 7 absolute essentials (at least for me). Here goes:
1. Vaseline – I can’t begin to explain what a great life-saver this tiny tub of petroleum jelly is. If you find carrying lotions and balms a hassle, just carry a small jar of Vaseline with you. It can act as a hand moisturizer, a lip balm, an under-eye cream annndd a make up remover. Phew! What’s more, it’s cheap!
2. Concealer – Whoever said “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend”, was either a man or a woman with perfect skin. I feel perfect skin is a myth. Every girl no matter how great or not-so-great her skin is, needs a li’l help now and then. I personally suffer from the paranoia of developing huge red boils on my nose out of nowhere while people around me watch on in horror (irrational & hilarious, I know), but carrying a concealer with you will ensure you can tackle girly issues like a sudden zit or rings under your eyes after a crazy sleep-over at your best friend’s place easily.
3. Diary & a Pen – This one’s close to my heart. 🙂 I try to carry a cute pocket diary with me so that I can note down interesting quotes I randomly come across or am struck with a sudden inspiration to write a small poem or journal. (I know I know you can do all this on a phone, what to say, I am a romantic at heart.) Besides, I find that carrying a pen somehow shows you are smart and organized you know?
4. Blush – Aah. The pretty pink blush.. You don’t need a truck load of make up if you have clean skin and cheeks with a little colour on them. Blush can make you look pretty and gorgeously flushed in an instant. It also doubles up as eyeshadow – just dab a little on the eye crease for definition and character. Or you can mix a speck of it with vaseline and create a lip stain on the go. This tiny pot of pinky delight never ceases to amaze me. My personal pick is Tarte’s amazonian clay blush in Exposed. It’s a neutral dusty rose colour that I don’t seem to get enough of.
5. Scarf – You might go, ‘huh?’. Hear me out. A scarf can make pretty a accessory to your bag. Just tie it up in a cute knot on the handle. It can also alter the look of your dress in an instant. Besides, whether it’s a sudden explosion of black grimy smoke on your face by that nincompoop of a bus ahead of you, that annoying ketchup stain on your collar that came out of no where or the need to disapparate when you see an annoying relative across the road, your scarf will be your knight in floral armour.
6. Safety Pins – Always handy in case you have to pin the shirt placket to maintain your modesty or hide a nasty rip in your dress. But store them in a little box. These buggers have a way of pricking your fingers every time you reach for something in your bag.
7. Perfume – You need to smell good. Period. As Coco Chanel oh-so-stylishly put, “A woman who doesn’t wear perfume has no future.” Who am I to argue with her? Try getting a travel size spray or stick that is easy on your bag and your pocket. Having a lazy day? Just rub some hand sanitizer on your arm pits and spray some perfume on them, your wrists, behind ears and on the crown and tip of your hair and you will feel fresh like a daisy. But for hygienic purpose, don’t make this a habit and take shower regularly. Lol. My pick is D&G’s Light Blue. Smells like summery Greece in a bottle.
Few other items that I think deserve an honourable mention are:
A Hand Sanitizer.
Sanitary Pad (duh.)
What are your must-haves that you like to carry in your bag all the time?